You’ve placed your order and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of your first shipment of Neuralli. Here’s what to do next!
1. Unbox and store Neuralli in the fridge
When you receive your box, bring it inside as soon as possible and put each of your Neuralli bottles into the refrigerator (they’re heavy, aren’t they?). It’s ok if the inside of the box is not cold. If it’s warm and any included ice packs have melted, don’t worry! A package insert will tell you how to make sure your Neuralli is ok.
We work hard to make sure that every time you take Neuralli, you get the full clinical dose of L. plantarum PS128 - that’s 60 billion CFUs per two capsules.
Most probiotic manufacturers are happy just to put the right CFUs in the bottle at the factory and then hope for the best. At Bened Life we go the extra mile to make sure Neuralli is actually as potent when you take it as the label says.
We do that in five ways:
- Pack each capsule with even more PS128 than promised
- Ship it to you fast from our US-based warehouse
- Ship on ice in hot weather to keep Neuralli cooler
- Use CSP vials to keep every capsule in the bottle moisture-free
- Remind you to keep Neuralli in its bottle all of the time, and in the refrigerator most of the time
2. Take Neuralli consistently every day
The time of day that you take Neuralli can be whenever works best for you. Many autistic adults find they prefer to take two capsules in the morning. Parkinson’s patients were instructed to take two capsules in the evening after dinner in a clinical study (1). If you are giving Neuralli to a child, it’s ok to experiment with the best time of day and even to split the dose if necessary. In clinical studies (2-4), parents were given freedom to find the time of day that worked best for their autistic child.
Feel free to open the capsules and mix the powder into a cold, non-acidic drink or cold food if you are not able to swallow a capsule.
When and how you take Neuralli each day is flexible. What’s crucial is that you take Neuralli every day for neurological health benefits, and always keep Neuralli cool and dry. Neuralli should be kept inside its own bottle for highest potency, and it is best stored in the refrigerator.
We recommend setting a reminder on your phone or using a visual cue that helps you to remember Neuralli instead of adding it to a pill box. It’s ok to leave your current bottle of Neuralli out on the counter, away from direct sunlight and moisture, if it helps you to remember. Just keep any additional bottles in the fridge for long-term storage so they will be at maximum potency on their “Best By” date.
3. Adjust to your new probiotic
Anytime you make a big change to your diet or add a new probiotic, it’s possible your gut may need some time to adjust. You may experience a bit of gas, bloating, or stool consistency changes as you start taking Neuralli. Any GI symptoms should be mild and should subside within a few days to a week. If you experience an allergic reaction or GI symptoms that don’t resolve on their own, stop taking Neuralli and consult your health care provider.
4. Watch for neurological health benefits
Neuralli’s active ingredient is L. plantarum PS128, a unique neurologically active probiotic strain that has been studied in 12 clinical studies to date. PS128 has been found to help with:
- Attention - less inattention and less hyperactivity and impulsivity (2-5)
- Mood - less anxiety, and observation of behaviors that indicate less anxiety (2-4, 6-7)
- Movement - improved akinesia and activities of daily living for Parkinson’s patients (1)
- Sleep quality - less likely to wake up during deep sleep (1,6).
These effects are likely attributable to changes in serotonin and/or dopamine signaling or metabolism when taking PS128. Not everyone will experience all types of benefits, and how they look on the outside will vary from person to person.
*How can you tell if Neuralli is helping you? We suggest writing down details of struggles you typically encounter with attention, mood, movement, and/or sleep quality. After 4 or more weeks of taking Neuralli consistently, note any changes. It may also help to ask someone close to you what differences they’ve noticed in you.
Here are some examples of changes Neuralli customers and PS128 clinical study participants and their family members have reported:
- Sleeping through the night more regularly
- An “extra breath” before experiencing an autistic meltdown
- Shorter duration of “off” periods between levodopa doses, and fewer motor symptoms during “off” periods
- Less sensory overload allowing a wider range of activities
5. Keep taking your existing medications
You should consult your health care provider when starting to take Neuralli to make sure a medical probiotic is right for you. To date, PS128, the active ingredient in Neuralli, has not been noted to interfere with any specific type of medication. To be cautious, you may wish to separate the timing of your medications and Neuralli by an hour or two.
Participants in several clinical studies have taken L. plantarum PS128 safely in combination with a variety of medications:
- Levodopa - In a 12-week pilot study of 25 Parkinson’s patients taking 60 billion CFUs of PS128 per day, each participant continued to take their usual doses of anti-parkinsonian medications (1).
- SSRIs - In two published studies, more than 100 participants took 60 billion CFUs of PS128 along with an SSRI, with no negative effects reported (8,9)
- Autism medications - In three studies of autistic people 4-19 years old, all participants continued to take their usual medications along with 60 billion CFUs of PS128 per day (2-4).
We are happy to answer any questions you may have and really do want to hear about your experience with Neuralli. Please use the Contact page to reach our Customer Happiness Team.
Clinical studies cited:
- The Add-On Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 in Patients with Parkinson's Disease: A Pilot Study - full text link
- Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 on Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder in Taiwan: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial - full text link
- Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 and Other Probiotics in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Real-World Experience - full text link
- Probiotic and Oxytocin Combination Therapy in Patients with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Trial - full text link
- Randomized Controlled Trial of Probiotic PS128 in Children with Tourette Syndrome - full text link
- Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 on Depressive Symptoms and Sleep Quality in Self-Reported Insomniacs: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Trial - full text link
- Psychobiotic Supplementation of PS128 Improves Stress, Anxiety, and Insomnia in Highly Stressed Information Technology Specialists: A Pilot Study - full text link
- Psychophysiological Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder: A Preliminary 8-Week Open Trial - full text link
- Clinical Application Value of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 in Patients with Anxiety Disorders - full text link